January Construction Update
Happy New Year BARC Connects subscribers!
Fiber construction and in-home installs are really going to start ramping up now that we are through the holidays. Construction is nearly complete on the northern substation ring and crews will be shifting to service drops later this month. Yes, at long last, we are about to start connecting BARC Electric customers!!!
Our contract crews from S&N Communications will be starting to build service drops in the Kerr’s Creek area. This includes the homes in and around Big Spring Road and Bethany Road to start. They will then move clockwise around the northern ring towards Rockbridge Baths.
Here is what you need to know about the service drop process:
• Your fiber service drop will follow the path of your electric service as much as possible. If your electric service is aerial, your fiber drop will also be aerial. If your electric service is underground, so will your fiber service.
• For underground service drops, S&N will mark a white line on the ground (the planned service drop path) and leave a door hanger with additional information.
• S&N will call Miss Utility to mark all registered underground facilities, which ensures they do not damage anything when they build the drop.
• If you don’t like the proposed path, or the white line conflicts with any private underground facilities (like propane lines), please call the number on the door tag to let S&N know.
• Crews will then follow up in a matter of days to verify the markings and build the drop. The drop will include installation of a small grey box on the outside of your house, called a “Network Interface Device” or NID for short.
• Shortly after your drop is installed, a representative from BARC Connects will contact you to confirm your services and schedule your in-home installation.
We are also pleased to announce that we moved our southern fiber route, enabling us to add about 200 additional eligible customers to phase 1 of our project! Customers living in the Poplar Hill, Jacob’s Ladder, Zollman’s Pavilion, and Possum Hollow areas can check their eligibility for fiber service by viewing our project map at www.barcconnects.net, or by entering their address into our customer signup portal at shop.barcconnects.net. If your address auto-populates in our customer portal it means you’re eligible for fiber service!
This is just a reminder that customers who sign up for service before construction passes their area are eligible to receive a free fiber service drop to their home. The only requirements are that customers commit to a two-year contract and pay a $100 fee towards the in-home installation of their fiber service.
We will continue to send updates on the status of our fiber construction. Hang in there while we bring the fiber to you. We really appreciate your patience and support.